Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A sleep story

I think it's safe to say that most people with kids have or have had some sort of sleep struggle with them. Ours came when Amelia was about 5 months old and her naps and bedtime were still so unpredictable that we decided to make her nap times at 10am and 2pm, and bedtime at 8pm. So every day we did the same routine at the same time, and within a matter of days there was no more struggle, just a peaceful sleeping baby and happy mom. Well, that's all still going fine and dandy, now with just 1 nap a day. Well, now the struggle comes because that "great" plan only works if we're home. Whenever we travel or are out for an extended period of time (like in the car or at church) the sleeping thing is a no-go. I've always been so jealous of people walking around with their kids sleeping on their chest or in the shopping cart or wherever else, and I've LONGED for the day that we could video-tape Amelia falling asleep in her spaghetti at the dinner table.

Well, today I caught a small glimpse of that. Jonathan had said bye-bye to her on his way out the door to work at about 10:40 this morning. I was sitting at the kitchen table eating a snack, and I noticed that Amelia had gotten really quiet. I finished up my food and went into the living room to investigate. Here's what I found:




YES!!!!

5 comments:

Elsha said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Wait...is that not your home?

Kirsta 'n co. said...

Moments like that are rare in my house, too, so it's fantastic when they happen! Really, you're much more likely to find ME asleep on the floor with a cup dangling from my mouth than my kids - thank goodness they can't manipulate a camera just yet!

Kari and Jonathan said...

Yes, Laura, that's my home. But it's not her crib!

Kari and Jonathan said...

Ok Laura- I just read the blog again after I posted that comment and realized I should've gone into more detail. Not only do we have to be at home, it has to be in HER bed! There's no falling asleep on the couch or even in mom and dads bed :( Sadly, sometimes in the middle of the night I'd love to bring her to my bed and snuggle, but then she thinks it's play time, not sleepy time.

Hope that clears things up :)