Friday, November 25, 2011

A story about Strep and Thanksgiving

Turns out having strep throat doesn't make for the best Thanksgiving. I wouldn't actually know, because it's Jonathan that has it. And if you're wondering why it's not Jonathan writing this post about it, it's because he's still dying on the couch. He has now been totally out-of-commission-sick since last Thursday! Poor guy! And while I feel really bad for him, I'm SO ready for him to be over it because I feel like a single mom of 3 kids right now.

Lets start from the beginning. Last Thursday he came home from work sick with the chills and body aches and a sore throat. Friday and Saturday he struggled through the work day, taking about 4 Advil every 4 hours to keep his fever and sore throat at bay. Sunday he was still feeling really awful and annoyed that his "flu" hadn't gone away. He showed me his tonsils and they were HUGE and had white spots on them, but the light bulb didn't go off over my head until a couple hours later when he said, "Ya know, with my tonsils looking like that I wonder if I have tonsillitis or something." And I was like, "STREP!" because one of my friends from church had just told me she had it. He went to urgent care right away and sure enough: Strep. They gave him a prescription for Amoxicillin and we figured he'd take the next day off work, and within 24 hours he'd not be contagious and be good to go. Wrong. Monday was awful. Tuesday was awful. By Tuesday night when I was pretty sure he was going to die, we decided he should go to the hospital just in case something else was wrong that was making him feel like this. Nothing else was wrong but they gave him a shot of penicillin and a steroid shot and sent him on his not-so-merry way. The next morning he was feeling better but still couldn't really eat anything and was getting lightheaded if he was up too much. Same thing on Thursday, Thanksgiving, which is why it wasn't great. Same thing today, which is why he came home from work an hour early. WHEN IS IT GOING TO END?? My goodness, I haven't seen him sick like this EVER. Not in the 3 1/2 years that we've been married has he called out from work sick, and now it's been a week of days off or going home early. :( Let's just all keep our fingers crossed that he'll be back to 100% soon, or I might die too.

Did I mention he's also lost 15 pounds? :(

Needless to say, this was the ONLY picture we took on Thanksgiving:


I hope you all are staying healthy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

15 pounds?! Holy crap! I hope he gets better too. That sounds serious!

Elsha said...

Even though no one was sick over Thanksgiving, I still managed to take zero pictures. Family holiday fail.