Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Thoughts on a 3rd girl

IT'S ANOTHER GIRL!  Seriously, I'm baffled.  Not because I thought it was a boy, because from day one of this pregnancy I've said I just felt like it was a girl.  But all girls?! What are the odds?  When I was pregnant with Amelia we really wanted a boy, just because in the grand line up of all our kids we wanted the boy to be the oldest. Jonathan will never admit it but he was disappointed to find out it was a girl.  He had just envisioned his little buddy learning how to play sports and work on cars with him. That all changed as soon as Amelia was born, and within a couple weeks he told me that he wanted to have 3 girls.  So, it's all his fault.

Honestly, I'm terrified to raise girls.  I'm terrified to raise one girl, much less three! Yes, it's because of myself.  I was a horrible, awful person to my parents (and possibly some other people) from about age 12-22. That's a loooooong 10 years! And I don't consider myself naive to the ways of the world, and I know they're just getting worse, and I want to put my girls in a bubble until they're 25.  I really have to take a step back and think about all the girls I know that DIDN'T rebel like I did, and hope that my girls are like that!  Two people that come to mind are my sisters!  I'm going to be raising my girls on stories of the wonderful things that their aunties did. :)

On the other hand, I'm SO SO happy to have "my girls".  Of course I'm a tiny bit sad for Jonathan to not have gotten his little buddy, but if you've ever spent time with Jonathan and Amelia, I think he'd tell you that no boys are needed, because Amelia is the best buddy he always wanted.  I was a little worried that if we had a boy he would grow up very feminine since he'd be surrounded by girly things, so at least we don't have to worry about the third wheel! Also, how easy is it going to be to have another girl?! I mean, I know you all have seen how many girl clothes and toys we have.

I also consider this a service to my parents.  My siblings are seriously slacking on producing girls so we'll just have to make up for it.  This will be the 11th grandchild on the Gustavson side, and it will be the 5th girl. If it weren't for us, they'd be drowning in a sea of boys, and boys have cooties. HAHAHA.

Anyway~ here I am at 20 weeks:
And take my word when I tell you that I am WAY bigger at 20 weeks than I was with the other girls.  Oddly enough, I'm embracing it way better than I would think I would.  I think it's because I know it's my last time, and I'm just taking it all in. I feel great, and I'm LOVING the "new" winter maternity wardrobe from Elsha and Kirsta, since I've never had a winter pregnancy! 

6 comments:

Elsha said...

Hey now, no saying this is the last one while you're still pregnant.

Kari and Jonathan said...

I can say its the last one because from the time I was pregnant with Amelia we've said 3 is our number. :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure Elsha did some rebelling too. Sorry Elsha. Everyone does. I'm mostly worried Ruby's rebellion will end up on the internet now that phones have cameras/video recorders and social media is so big. Or that she'll do something truly stupid like butt chugging and die of alcohol poisoning. Seems like the kids these days have upped the stakes. Oh kids these days...

Also, you still look pretty tiny to me!

Kari and Jonathan said...

Yes, Laura, there are so many new things that kids are doing these days and I'm not so sure I like them! Seriously, I'm the old lady now that's appalled at the songs on the radio! Ha! Funny how things change.

Kirsta 'n co. said...

I just love that it's "possible" you were horrible to some other people too :) While you raise your kids on stories about their *wonderful* aunts (and Laura's right, we all did some rebelling) and I raise my kids on cautionary tales of their crazy aunt Kari, I bet you'll have wonderful girls and we'll get the "wild child." My money is on Eli...

Eric and Amy said...

You look adorable and I can't believe you're not BIGGER than that at 20 weeks. I also can't believe Addilyn is 1. My how time flies! Jonathan can still play sports and teach the girls how to fix cars!