Sunday, September 11, 2011

Nesting

Nesting: An uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world.

I AM NESTING.

I'm guessing it's a combination of pregnancy and watching too much Hoarders on Netflix. It's not that I want to clean necessarily, it's that I REALLY want to organize and get rid of things. For the past week or so I've been going through some things on my own without trying to make too big of a mess, and definitely not getting rid of anything that is Jonathan's without asking (which is hard when he's not here). But I kept pestering him, saying things like, "Are you SURE there's nothing in that closet that you want to get rid of?" So he agreed that we would have a good cleaning day on Sunday (today). And we did. We cleaned out the entire basement, including every drawer, bag, magazine holder, cabinet, box and closet. It's amazing how you can clean out a closet full of misc. stuff once a year or so but there's always more to get rid of. I think, "Why didn't we get rid of this stuff last time we cleaned?" We also did things like built a self in the laundry room to hold all of our paper goods, and we rearranged the baby's room to look better and be more organized. Anyway~ I'm feeling much better, but there's still a little more I want to go through in the next couple weeks before the baby arrives. So, give me ideas: if you could de-junk one thing or place in your house, what would it be??

5 comments:

Elsha said...

I really want to clean out our movies. No, they don't take up a lot of room in those binders, but we have tons that we don't watch and won't watch. Those don't need to be in there at all.

Kari and Jonathan said...

I feel the same! I don't think Jonathan is ready yet though. Plus, he'd probably want to sell them on eBay or something, and I want instant gratification. :)

Kirsta 'n co. said...

I just de-junked our linen closet and put like with like - turns out I have a LOT of shampoo and conditioner! All the dvds I would get rid of are Joe's :)

emandfam said...

Our garage is a mess. I keep putting it off and putting it off... I just don't wanna! I end up with too many goodwill piles to fit in the car... Good for you, though! Nesting always feels GOOD when the day is done!

Eric and Amy said...

I'm glad Jonathan could help you with your nesting. I always feel boxed in by what we can't (won't) get rid of. It is sooo nice when things look emptier/ super organized. My house staged was pretty great. Too bad I couldn't live in a house and keep it that neat!